RE: R/T Wheel Size

From: Brent Hackl (BHackl@nrginfo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 1999 - 14:20:33 EST

I've been checking into this in a lot of detail, as I'm considering buying a 99 4x4 CC and immediately putting R/T wheels and a decent-handling "performance" tire on it (I'll use snow tires and 4WD in
the winter). Here's what I've learned or been told (mostly from all the helpful people on the DML):

- 17x9"
- same OFFSET as the 15x7 and 15x8 Dodge wheels, therefore a 17" tire with the same diameter and section width as your stock 15" tires should not rub because it would be located in the same place
relative to the truck (note that the RIM LIP will stick out a bit more to the inside and to the outside, but the tire's sidewall should be in approx. the same location, just with less bulging)
- backspacing is 6.5" (15x7's are 5.5", 15x8's are 6.0")
- people with 4x2 Daks haven't had problems using the 17x9 R/T wheels

I'm considering using the 17x9 R/T wheels and Dunlop Sport Rover GTX P275/60 R17 tires. The diameter and section width specs on the Dunlops are nearly identical to the stock 31x10.5 15" Goodyear
Wranglers, so I don't THINK they'll rub. I haven't heard back from anyone running this size of tire.

Hope this helps.

...Brent
(soon-to-be 99 5.2 4x4 CC owner)
(currently 93 5.2 2x4 RC)