Happy99 and list config stuff

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 17:43:36 EST

  Regarding the happy99 thing... Someone asked why it went through to the
list since the list doesn't accept attachments. As it turns out, Happy99
uses uuencode to insert itself into messages. Most mailers treat uuencoded
text the same as an attachment, so most people probably wouldn't notice any
difference between this and a MIME attachment. (I didn't notice anything with
Eudora Pro, anyway.) I was puzzled as to how it got through until I took
a look at the actual digest from the list server and saw it was uuencoded.

  Anyway, I've added an exclude rule to the list which will look for this
happy99 worm and bounce any posts which contain it. I just tested it and it
appears to work. So, hopefully this will not be a problem again. :-)

   And speaking of the list configuration... I don't know if anyone else has
noticed, but it appears the "sacraficial top line" demon is dead. :-) The
buffnet tech thought it might have something to do with the additional headers
included with every message. When I looked at the config file, the headers
were right up against the "END" marker, so I put a blank line in there. Since
then, I haven't noticed any more mangled messages. Woohoo! :-)

                                              -Jon-