Re: V6 Power

From: GSWillhite (GSWillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 16 1999 - 12:20:46 EST

<< I just got my 94 Dakota Sport 3.9, 5-Speed, and I am wondering what
 inexpensive and easy things are available to increase my power,
especially
 on the low end, without sacrificing fuel economy. Yes, I plan to put
in a
 K&N FilterCharger, maybe with an open-element housing, does Mopar
 Performance offer one? Also, I gather that a 3" cat-back exhaust
system
 and a 2- or 3-chamber Flowmaster or similar muffler would be a good
idea.
 Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks... >>

> 3" pipe is really too big for our V6ers; too little of backpressure. Stick
> with the stock 2.5" pipe.
> Kyle
> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

Just for reference, I had a "97 V6 with a ported TB, 3 chamber
Flowmaster,
3"in/out and had the 3.21 gears. The truck had no torque at low end, but
would
scream on the highway and get 20 mpg. With the TFX dual 3"resonator
tips, the
V6 sounded better than some V8s. For low end torque, the 2 1/2 stock
pipes sounds
like good advice. A good port Job on your TB will help, but this may
effect mpg.

GS -

98 5.2L 5spd