Re: Re: Pioneer radio in DAK

From: jim miller (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Sat Mar 20 1999 - 22:41:52 EST

> > I installed a Pioneer DEH-P86DHR AM/FM/CD player in my DAK.
> I am having a problem with a "hum" noise that
> seems to be coming from the detachable faceplate, near the volume buttons
> > getting a "good" power supply into such a small area. He said it might be
> > normal sound for the model, or it might be defective.
> >
> > My questions to fellow DAK owners are: Has anyone else installed this
> model
> > stereo into their DAK and have they had any problems?
> > Jon Parker
> > Annandale, VA
> >
> > '99 4x4 CC 5.2L Auto Sport+

I have one of these radios in my 99 R/T and I love it. There IS a power supply
to make high voltage for the display as there is in many late model stereos.
The difference in detachable face plate models is the power supply has to be in
the face plate instead of inside the radio. There is a small buzz or whistle
noise made by the power supply that may be heard when the volume is low on the
radio. The sound usually does not come from the speakers but from the face
plate. Mine can be heard only when the truck is not running and the radio is
turned down all the way. I do not notice it if the truck is running or the radio
is playing loud enough to listen to. If yours is loud enough to be very
noticeable the face plate may be defective. There is a transformer inside it
that may be loose in its mounting and vibrating against a plastic part. I hope
this may help you and remember Pioneer is not the only company that does this
and non detachable face radios put the supply inside the radio chassis where it
would not be heard.
Jim in Waco. ( I have been installing car stereos since 1968!)