Re: Paint Tips

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Tue Mar 23 1999 - 19:46:26 EST

boydmcguire@mindspring.com wrote:

> Alan,
> So you are suggesting I sand, fill and mask (not sure how to go about
> doing that however) the truck, and then get the cheap deal, or the better
> deal? Could a place like Maaco just do the touch-up work w/ color matching
> or not?
>
> Blake
> '93 White/Grey
> 4x2 Auto
> 5.2L 318 cu V-8
Blake
If you're on a budget like yours and you want so much value for the
money, I suggest you do all the prep work yourself, then get the best
paint you can afford. If your working with your dad, it could be a fun
project.
Fill means just that, fill dents and dings with body filler, shape the
filler to match the curve of the panel, let it dry and sand.
After that's done, sand the entire truck with 2-3 different grits from
roughest to smoothest.
Masking is just taking "masking" tape and carefully taping all surfaces
that you DON'T want paint on, while keeping tape off the surfaces that
you DO want painted.
 Drive it to whoever you want to do the prime/paint and pay up. Alan S.