Re: Paint Tips (very long)

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Mon Mar 22 1999 - 19:10:27 EST

boydmcguire@mindspring.com wrote:

> Alan,
> Thanks for the wonderful advice. I assume body filler and the sandpaper
> can be picked up at any local Auto parts store? Are there any types of
> filler or sandpaper that you would reccommend?
>
> Blake
> '93 White/Grey(Soon to be Blue and White)
> 4x2 Auto
> 5.2L 318 cu V-8

Blake,
Glad to help, if all of the dents are just "dings" then use plain old
Bondo. Sand out the paint right down to the metal before filling it. Pay
attention to the amount of hardener that you mix with the Bondo (it
comes with it), too much dries too fast to shape it, too little dries
mushy or not at all. It should look light pink. Don't mix more than you
can use in 10-15 min.
Wet\Dry sandpaper and Bondo are available at any auto parts store.
Don't go too rough on the grit of the sandpaper, it'll scratch the metal
and show through in the final painted finish.
1st grit should "cut" the paint off pretty quick. 2nd grit should
"finish" off the paint. 3rd grit should "shine" the surface clean of
marks, work the truck in small sections not all at once.
You can use a cheap vibrating palm sander, but random-orbital sander is
best. Use the sander "dry" for steps 1-2. Hand sand with water on the
surface "wet sand" (use a water hose) for the final step.
Be sure the painter wipes the metal down with paint prep solution to
remove any oils or dirt and a tack rag before he paints. After all this
hard work, it'd be a shame to have dust under the paint.
Good luck, if you chose to do this, it won't be easy. A LOT of hard work
goes into a good paint job. Good sanding/prep/masking is at least 3/4
(if not more) of getting good results, but it will be very
satisfying. Alan S.