Using a 180 stat..was Shlepp boys

From: Boog318@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 26 1999 - 11:01:37 EST

First, I work at a local parts store and we deliver quite a bit to Shlepp
boys. They are quite pathetic, but they insist I find parts for them and they
do pay for it. Hell the other day they called wanting tune up and brake parts
for an 87 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. Common shit like pads and rotors. I asked the
guy why they didnt have pads for a chevy truck, he said there were none made
in 87 according to his computer. I almost started laughing at him on the
phone, but took pity on the poor shlepper. I had to tell him that in 87 they
are V1500's not K1500's. Thats scary when they cant even look up parts for a
friggin chevy.

Now to the point, the reason they made such a fuss about the 180 stat.
Our trucks begin normal running temperature mode at 170 degrees. A thermostat
that opens a 180 will fluctuate in temperature and may go below 170.
Especially if your truck is newer with a cleaner more efficient cooling system
and if the outside temp. is relatively cool. This will tell the computer to
richen up the gas mixture and bump up idle rpms (warm-up mode). If the prob
persisist you will get a code 17 on pre OBD II Daks (96 and older). And gas
milage will really drop. The prolonged rich air/fuel mixture can cause blowby
and increase carbon deposits on your valves and intake.
I experimented with a 180 and had good results through the summer. I live in
Belair Md. so we get cold in the winter. As fall brought cooler temps., I
started having probs. I got the code 17 and a strong gas odor in my oil, not
to mention 10-12 MPG. I changed back to a 195 and havent had a problem
since.
Just because the thermostat opens at 195 dosent mean your truck will run at
195. It will probably cool down to around 180-185 once you get driving. At
least that is what mine does. If I lived in Texas or Arizona (some place
where its warm all year), I would probably stay with the 180.
Experiment with it. If you dont mind changing out that friggin thing twice a
year, then go for it, but the consequences from running too cold are not worth
the minimal performance gained from it.
Well enough of my rambling. If any of ya'll need help on anything regarding
parts, I'll be glad to help.
BOYCOTT SHLEPP BOYS!!!! SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL PARTS STORE!
Boog