Re: Timing Chain Gaskets

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 1999 - 11:19:11 EST

Kyle asks:
>Ok question.....and thanks alot for the response!.......do I have to remove
>the oil pan for the timing chain/sprocket replacement??

No. But be very careful not to tear the oil pan gasket, it softens up a bit
after long exposure to oil. The timing chain cover isnŽt very heavy if you
pull the water pump off of it first. Also, the bypass hose will probably
require a bit of pulling to free up, so take things off one at a time, and
youŽll be fine.

On reassembly, dab a little bit of silicone gasket into the corners to
insure a seal.

I recall there was a metal tube that did not come with the new water pump,
but you can yank out of the old one and reuse. Connects to the heater hose.

>the possible gaskets are the timing chain cover gasket, the water pump gasket,
>and possibly the oil pan gasket, right? THANKS AGAIN!

Yuppers.

Jim
93 CC 4x4 V8