Re: DML; Timing GEAR instead of Chain -Reply

From: mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes) (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 17:12:32 EST

I saw a timing gear set in Jegs for Chrysler small blocks. It's in the
newest catalog...can't remember the page though....

-mike d.

>>> <Boog318@aol.com> 03/26/99 09:58am >>>
There is a timing set available in almost all aftermarket brands. You can
get
the crank and cam sprocket (gear) with the chain.
As far as I know, all the v6 and v8 sets are the same, 87-99. When I did
the
job on my 87, there was just a chain and two sprockets. The chain was
so
loose you could tap it and watch it move back and forth. I guess thats
why I
couldnt set the timing right eh? That was at around 125k. My 92 V8 only
has
70k right know and runs great.
If you do get the set (which I would recommend), make sure the chain is
double roller and that the sprockets are metal. Some cheaper brands will
have
ceramic sprockets. I havent seen any yet for a 318/360 with ceramics,
but be
sure to check.

It would be a good idea to replace the water pump while your in there. A
worn
timing chain can contribute to water pump failure (this might be the
rapping
sound that someone else on the list is hearing). And dont get a rebuilt
water
pump, they dont last that long and you dont want to have to get back in
there
again only a few months down the road.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Boog