"skpi shift" :-) was: Re: 98 Ram SS/T -Reply

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 18:48:22 EST

In a message dated 3/29/99 2:59:12 PM Pacific Standard Time, msykes@su.edu
writes:

<< they have some wacked "skpi shift".. won't let you hit second.. makes
 you go to 4th from 1st... they make something to counter it though. I think
 it will actually go to 2nd and 3rd at WOT, but at half or more, it skips..
 POS...

I think this "feature" was introduced when the fourth generation of F-bodies
came about ... probably around 92-93 or so. I know my friend's ZR-1 'Vette had
it, and it was rather annoying at times.

>From my understanding, there's a solenoid that will force a shift from 1st to
4th under very light throttle... It's electronic, and very easy to bypass.
Anything over half throttle or so and it's not necessary. I'll bet this is the
cause of some EPA regulation or something so the cars would get better gas
milage around town. It's actually kind of handy for us that like to drive
"briskly", keeps us with the pack when coming off of a stop light. :)

Dakota content: Luckily for us, Dodge's manual transmissions allow 1st to 2nd
shifting at any throttle position.. :-)

ttyl
Patrick