Re: True cost of a turbo. Was: (no subject)

From: HEMI@charter.net
Date: Thu Apr 01 1999 - 08:46:25 EST

You would only have to make the thing bullet-proof depending on how much
boost you would be running , the higher the boost , the more the likelyhood
of grenading something .

Wether it's boost from a turbo or a SC , as long as it is the same amount ,
it shouldn't vary from one to the other as far as what you have to do to
the engine .

At 12:02 AM 4/1/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>At 12:43 PM 3/31/99 , you wrote:
>>At 02:55 PM 3/30/99 , you wrote:
>>
>>>Yup...if you compare the price of a Turbo Kit (with O-Ringed heads, new
>>>gaskets, Pistons, Intercooler, etc.) with just a Paxton (or Vortech) kit,
>>>it comes out about the same. (With labor charges included.)
>

> Why is it nescessary to buy new pistons, gaskets, and O-ring the heads
>with a turbo but not a blower? (The intercooler I can certainly
>understand, although a blower isn't exactly an icebox either...)
>
> I'm not flaming you or anything; I actually don't know the answer... I
>am tossing around the idea of homebrewing an intercooled twin turbo 360
>Magnum for my Dak, so I am trying to learn everything I can now. (Doesn't
>cost anything to think and plan; I'd ike to have this thing fairly well
>designed before I start buying parts...)
>
> Anyone else out there with any experience or thoughts about
>turbocharging who'd like to chime in about what is involved would be most
>welcome to do so! :-)
>
> -Jon-

> | Affiliations: DoD, EAA, MP Race Team, NMA, SPA, USUA. RP-SEL |
> | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.58@93.55), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |
> `----------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'

Jack Hilton III

Black 1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Club Cab

Charter Pipeline......the Next Wave.....

HEMI@charter.net

http://webpages.charter.net/hemi/jbd1.html