Re: True cost of a turbo. Was: (no subject)

From: Dak99RT@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 01 1999 - 12:45:07 EST

In a message dated 4/1/99 12:14:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:

> Why is it nescessary to buy new pistons, gaskets, and O-ring the heads
> with a turbo but not a blower? (The intercooler I can certainly
> understand, although a blower isn't exactly an icebox either...)

Well, said Jon. One thing you may want to consider is that if the Dakota's
power brakes are powered via vacuum (I think they are but may be wrong as I
have only had my Dak for a few months) you may have problems braking under
boost or just coming off the boost. The Mustangs can do it so I think we
should be able too. Someone also said that the vacuum for the power brakes
come from up near the throttle body where vacuum... if any would be the
greatest under a boosted condition. But that is just one more thing to
Constar. The Buicks have a special motor controlled brake system for the same
situation that doesn't use vacuum assist. Other things needed would be a knock
sensor and a retard unit in case of detonation. I think Mike Leach or
Hypertech would be able to make a computer or programmer to control a
turbocharged Dak. The only other things would be turbo choice... I personally
would stay away from twin turbo right away as two turbos are harder to control
than one... two wastegates, two oil lines, two turbo manifolds, two downpipes,
etc, etc. Another thing to address is emissions. But a finely tuned turbo
system can be very clean. My .02
Charles Smith
99 Dak R/T
Had 11.82@114 87' Turbo Buick