Re[2]: Re: MSD vs. Accel

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 10:58:10 EST

The Part Numbers are the same. You have two choices though:

MSD 6A (Standard Box) - P/N: 6200
MSD 6A (Offroad Version) - P/N: 6470 (This is the one I use - It's totally
sealed and has vibration mounts)
MSD Blaster SS Coil - P/N: 8207 (Recommended by MSD for the Dakota system)

The wires are pretty much personal choice and name. I've used the MSD and
SplitFire Twin Core wires and didn't notice any difference in performance
or MPG. (The MSD wires are slightly cheaper though.)

Summit Racing has the lowest prices on the MSD items so you may want to
call them directly at 1-800-230-3030 and ask them for the current prices.
(I purchased my system about a year ago so the prices may be different.)
You can use the 6A for normal everyday usage along with your stock coil.
MSD still recommends the Blaster SS for better ignition performance. (And
don't forget to regap your plugs at .050".)

Regards,

Bernd

(There has been some talk about the 6AL Box with the Rev-limiter but if
your Dak is a '97+ model, it's not needed since it's already built into the
computer.)

At 10:41 AM 04/02/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks Bernd.
>Is the P/N for the 5.2 the same for the 3.9? If so do you happen to know
what
>it is... More importantly, how much did this system set you back?
>Tom

>_________________________________
>Subject: Re: DML: Re: MSD vs. Accel
>Author: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net> at smtpout
>Date: 4/2/99 9:13 AM
>

>Not really. There's other tweaks that have been done to some of the trucks
>on the list that may require "better than 88 Octane". With the MSD, you do
>have to gap the plug slightly larger to take advantage of the system (.050"
>is average for the '97+ Dak's).
>

>At 09:26 AM 04/02/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>>Do you have run premium gas with these ignitions or is that just with the
>HiPo
>>chip?
>>Tom

Bernd D. Ratsch