tailgate chirps

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Wed Apr 07 1999 - 22:25:46 EDT

" Aaron, you might want to check your tailgate where it latches shut on
both
sides. My '93 just developed a noise that sounds VERY similar to what
you
described. A "chirping". Mine is where the tailgate latches shut.
Apparently my lithium grease has worn off and these parts are dry. I
only
hear it at low speeds. Drove me nuts for a few days... Try driving with

your tailgate down. If it stops then you have found your problem and a
quick shot of lithium grease will cure it. If you still hear it, then
it's
something else. "

-I second this motion. My tailgate on my '92 chirps too. I found mine
is because the right
latch engages first and holds, and sometimes the left one didnt fully
catch, and the tailgate
vibrated and chirped on that side. I did the tailgate up and down
thing, and really got confused
by that, because slamming the tailgate hard engaged both latches
securely, and there was
no chirp...Now, I shut the tailgate from the drivers side only, that
cause that side to engage
fully everytime, and the passenger side catches too. Squeak solved...
Patrick