Re More power for an '88

From: Chris (Clam9892@postoffice.uri.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 08 1999 - 21:49:01 EDT

>Hi, I've got a 1988 DAK with a 3.9L TBI. I've seen the Shelbys, and I know
>it would fit. How do I retrofit the electronics? Who can recalobrate the
>computer? This truck is also a 4x4.Thanks for the help.
>
>Rick
>ICQ# 35514380

Well I too have an '88. I'm assuming that you meant he 318. Yes there are
actually a couple guys on the list that have put an 8 into an early dak.
So it will fit. it might take some fabrication of motormounts depending on
the year or the block. If you have teh A-500 tranny i doubt that it will
hold up to a 318's torque. I managed to blow mine twice with only a V-6,
the second time after only 22,500mi. Basically you failed to mention is
this thing stock? if not go with a 14X2" of a 14X3" aircleaner with a K&N,
or summit has generic ones for $40. this is what i have and i love it. I
also have done a high flow cat and turbo muffler. These two mods helped a
bit. Another big gain in HP at highway speeds and accelerating were teh
accel super coil (50,000volt) and the 8mm wires. For four wheeling you may
want/need teh extra torque of a restrictive exhaust, but again you gave
very little information on the truck and how you use it. I recetly swapped
in an A-518 non lockup convertor and those extra 300 rpm from the nonlockup
convertor made another noticeable improvement. Basically if you have the
cash and teh time a V-8 is the best way to make power in that truck. But
you might need to replace the transfer case also. I also believe that a
few of hte early dak's came with the 7.25" axle in the rear. I may be
wrong on this but if so please correct me. So it seems one way or another
it's gonna cost some cash, but depending on what your looking for...
Another good source for premag V-6 perf parts is the mopar perf catalog.
Ok i'm getting a little long winded.

Later,
Hope this helps,
Chris

----
'88 V-6, V-8 planning in progress, 2wd, FABM, A-518 Tranny, Accel Ignition,
Blue Interior Lights, "Free Flow Cat", ... and more...
----