Re: 8" cone?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 08 1999 - 23:03:58 EDT

At 07:56 PM 4/8/99 , you wrote:
>I don't think any horsepower gains from that cold air would offset the
>signifigant power that the A/C compressor uses....
>
>Nice thinking tho

  True enough. I was talking about this with Sean Meldrum several months
ago. I forget who came up with the idea, but what if you were to use a
short belt to bypass the A/C compressor then use an electric motor to turn
the A/C pulley. It would have to be a pretty beefy motor, and would
probably take a lot of current, but at least it wouldn't be sucking the
power from the engine.

  Unfortunately, even if the above did work, its probably useless. Reason?
 It would probably take too much electrical power for use on the street
(drain the battery real quick), and if you tried to use it at the track,
you wouldn't make many friends. (Your A/C would drip on the track, and
most people take a dim view of fluids on the track, even if it is just
water.) Depending on the track, the officials might not even let you run.

  Oh well. :-)

                                               -Jon-