Re: 8" cone?

From: Dak99RT@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 00:17:16 EDT

In a message dated 4/8/99 11:24:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:

> One thing to keep in mind is the size of the tube itself. Picture a
> 2,000cfm cone at the end of a drinking straw. The extra surface area won't
> do you a bit of good if you can't get it to the engine at that rate. I
> have no idea if this is actually a problem or not, but its one less thing
> that I have to worry about with my open element. It might be getting warm
> air, but at least I know its an unrestricted path from the filter to the
> TB. (Actually, it isn't warm air due to the ram-air hood...) :-)

A V-8 throttlle body has approximatly 6 square inches of area in the
throttle body bores. A K&N cone and the 3" tube it is connected to has
approximately 7 square inches... plenty enough to feed a hungry 6 square inch
throttle body... even a stage2 throttle body. This was something I forgot to
mention in my original post about the K&N surface areas and cfms.
Charles