Re: RE: Truck GVWR

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 00:41:11 EDT

Yes. According to the Hotline:

Take the GVWR and subtract 180LBS since it figures on two passengers...not
one. Next, remove the spare tire and deduct another 50lbs (this is the
actual weight of my 15x8 w/tire). Next, remove the Tailgate and deduct
62lbs. If you have custom rims (I do), look at the box for the actual
shipping weight and figure out the difference between your rims and the old
(22lb) rims...deduct that amount as well. (The 15x8's are 22lbs) (I
removed all of the stuff from under the seat and put it in the garage for
another 20lb weight reduction.

So far, I've removed 312lbs from the GVWR. Now, remove another 400-600lbs
taken into consideration for the bed being loaded. This should be an
approximate weight.

It's still best to take it to either a "Rock Yard" or the dumps and get an
accurate reading.