Re: 1/4 mi. Opinions Wanted.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 01:07:06 EDT

At 04:37 AM 4/8/99 , you wrote:
>I just baselined my Dakota at the track last week.
>Weight: about 4200 lb with appearance add-ons
>Bolt-ons: K&N dropin, Gibson dual split rear exits,
> '96 MP SBEC
>E.T.: 16.11 @ 85 (probably could have achieved 15.9
> with a more aggressive launch
> and overdrive off)
>
>Goal: 14.9 sec.

   My Dakota is also about 4200lbs (with me in it) It ran 16.0-16.3 bone
stock.

>Planned modifications (have been costed out):
> Magnum R/T camshaft package
> MP valve springs
> MP retainers
> MP 1.6 rockers
> Mike Leach headers (ceramic coated)
> Upgrade K&N dropin to whatever
> 275/60x15 BFG drag radials (will be here tomorrow)
> B&F Stage II throttle body

    Based on the 60' times I saw at Cayuga, I'd guess that the drag radials
will give you between 3 and 4 tenths right there, so you only need about
6-7 tenths out of the engine. When I used Bill's drag radials, I found
that I couldn't keep them spinning long enough; they'd hook up and launch
my truck forward without really getting as sticky as they should be. (My
best 60' time with Bill's tires was 2.05; I have done 2.08 with my
Firestone Firehawk SS-10's.) Obviously my street radials won't hook as
good as a drag radial, so the drag radials weren't getting heated up
enough. Anyway, what I'm getting at is you may want to invest in a line
lock so that you can keep the truck planted during the burnout.

  I'm not sure what the cam and valvetrain is good for (hp wise), but I
would guess 15-20hp for the headers and about 20-30 for the TB. Once you
get the headers and TB on there, you'll probably want to go with an open
element or a cone or something...

>Questions:
> Is my E.T. goal achievable with the above?
> Can my goal be achieved in a less expensive manner
> and still be normally aspirated?
> Any personal suggestions?

  I'm not sure, since I don't have any experience with the cam or
valvetrain upgrades, but if it helps at all, I can give you the list of
stuff on my truck when I hit 14.98: (lets see if I can remember it
correctly!) :-)

  14x3 open element K&N - $70
  3" single Gibson cat-back - $260
  MP PCM - $250
  180 degree t-stat - $30 (including new coolant, $6 otherwise)
  Ported & polished TB - $0
  MSD 8.5mm SuperConductor wires - $60
  Power steering bypass belt - $15
  Lakewood Traction Bars - $30-40

  Total: about $700 for about 1 second

   A fiberglass tonneau, ram-air hood, K&N X-stream lid, headers, Y pipe,
and cat delete was good for another .4-.5 seconds. (~$1500, 2/3 of which
was the hood, tonneau, and the cost to have them painted)

  I dunno if that helps at all, but that's the route I took. I do plan to
do the cam and valvetrain someday. (I might just wait until I decide to
install a 360 though, I'm not sure.)

                                               -Jon-