Re: A big cam w/stock 98-99 computer?

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 02:58:37 EDT

At 12:20 AM 4/9/1999 -0400, you wrote:
> Has anyone used a different cam with a stock computer on 97 to 99
>Dakota 318's? I know older Dakotas can use a different cam without
>problems, but has anyone actually done it on a newer one? How big a lift
>and duration can you use with the stock computer before it freaks out. Any
>other problems? Please don't answer if you own an earlier Dakota, I know
>that the computers are different and don't behave the same. Any help will
>be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Use Info At Own Risk...

I don't think I've heard of anybody running a non-stock cam in a 97+ Dak.
Here's my theory, though.

I think that only the only way to run into probs is with too much duration
@ .050" lift. That and the lobe separation on the cam. The amount of lift
should not affect the pre-determined computer settings. The O2 sensor
should compenstae for the extra amount of airflow due to having a higher
lift. What you want is a cam that has a high/fast rate of lift, but lower
duration numbers. Besisdes keeping Mr. Computer happy, it makes good low
range/mid range power.

With 1.6 rockers, the stock cam has ~200 degrees duration(only guessing
here...). Now that means that with 1.7 rockers, it has 215 degrees of
duration at the valves. Since there seem to be a good number of guys
running these things with no probs, then the comp can handle at least this
much duration. If you can find a cam that has about this much
duration(with 1.6 rockers), but TONS more lift, the computer should remain
happy and not get "midievil on your ass"...=) The stock cam has somewhere
in the vicinity of .400" lift. Just for your info, Hughes Engines (not
pluggin them...just got cool Magnum stuff...K&K does too, btw...)has a cam
with 208/215 degrees duration, but has .512/.512 lift(this is the cam they
recommended to Jon Smith). Power band is supposed to be 1500-5000 rpm
range, too. I definately recommend talking to a cam expert/engine builder
first, just to see what they say.....

Brian