Re: Disc Brake Stud Replacement...

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 15:54:35 EDT

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian wrote:

> Alrighty...I finally got the longer MP studs in. This way way I can
> finally put the 15x8s up front. Anyways, I can take the front discs off
> and all, but how do you change out the studs? I am guessing you knock 'em
> out with a hammer, then put the new ones in. Except the studs I bought are
> press in studs. Any tricks to getting them to "press in" easily???

   I haven't tried this on the front wheels, but I did try to replace a
couple of stripped studs on my rear wheels. What a nightmare! If I
had to do it again, I'd just take it to a tire shop and have them do
it. (That's what I ended up doing anyway.)

  I asked about this quite a while ago on the DML and got some
and a spacer to "pull" the stud into the wheel. The stud just
didn't want to go into the wheel on my truck, and I broke a socket
adapter trying. (Fortunately, it was a Craftsman, so I got a new
one for free.) I took it to the place where I buy my tires, and
they used an impact wrench to install them. (Didn't cost much,
either. They actually had some trouble with it, even with the
impact wrench; its a tight fit!)

   Anyway, if you want to try to do it yourself, I would recommend
only knocking out one of the old studs and putting in the replacement.
That way, if you decide to take it to a shop like I did, at least
you'll still have 5 studs in the wheel so you can drive it there,
rather than needing a tow...

                                              -Jon-