Re: Re: DML Digest V4 #553

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Apr 11 1999 - 16:24:05 EDT

On April 11, Aaron C. wrote:
>I keep hearing everyone say they have a MP SBEC and it helps a lot.
>I know I'm probably gonna get ragged for this one, but what the heck
>is it, what does it do, and most importantly, where can I get one.

MP SBEC is Mopar Performance's hi-performance computer for the Dakota,
etc. Each computer is unique to the year, engine and tranny type that
you have.

It changes the timing, air/fuel ratio, etc. to give the truck more
horsepower and torque. The changes require a switch to at least
92 octane gas. Some of the list have experienced pinging with
the change and switched their thermostat from 195 to 180 to get
rid of the pinging.

MP did not put SBECs for the 1997 and 1999 years. They announced
this year that they are bringing out SBECs for the '98s but I
haven't heard they are out as yet.

I am running a '96 MP SBEC on my '97 but because of major wiring
changes in the '96 and '97 instrument panel, the gauges in the '97
do not function with the SBEC. The performance gain is though.
My Dakota went from a 16.7@80 in the 1/4 to a 16.1@85.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto.