Front Axle

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 11 1999 - 22:13:52 EDT

Jason:

On the later model Dak's, your front axles, diff, and drive shaft are
turning all the time in 2wd.
I'm sure limited slip would cause no end of problems.

-----------------
<snip>
Everything that I've read indicates that trying to put a limited slip in the
front isn't a very good idea. Something to do with the fact that our front
axle doesn't fully disconnect when you go back in 2wd. I think one side is
still connected to the transfer case, just not the other side of the axle (I
could be wrong in this, hopefully someone will correct me if I am). Putting
an LSD up front is supposed to do really strange things to your steering on
the street. I believe that the only option is something like an ARB air
locker that you can turn off at will. Unfortunately, I don't think they
make one for the front.

While I'm thinking of the front axle, anyone know if it's possible to get a
gear ratio lower (numerically larger) than the factory 3.9 up there?

Thanks

Jason Bleazard
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg Cab V6/3.9L/5spd

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.
Canada