Re: performance gains?

From: Kabuki2@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 12 1999 - 18:09:44 EDT

In a message dated 4/12/99 11:34:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
james.densteadt@eds.com writes:

<< Does anyone know any details about the vortech supercharger for the R/T?
 What kind of performance can I expect? Has anyone used one yet? How much
 boost and what was the cost? Thanks! >>

While I don't have an R/T, I do have an OBD-II controlled 5.9L in my '97
Dodge Ram SS/T and run the Vortech S-Trim package on mine.

My truck's baseline before the blower was in the lower - mid 15 second range,
and trap speed averaged from ~86-88 mph depending on weather conditions.

At the time, my truck's modifications were Borlas SS headers, K&N FIPK, true
dual exhaust w/ 2 chamber flows - dumped before axle, mild (220 deg dur @
.050") Comp Cams camshaft, Crower 1.6 ratio roller rockers w/ "R/T" springs
(done for reliability purposes), MSD 6A ignition box w/ Magnecor wires, and a
Richmond 4.10 ring and pinion out back.

After the blower install (kit form, no extra mods, "custom" O-rings that
caused a nasty fuel leak under boost, 3.125" pulley, 5 lbs of boost.) and
before I could tune her more, I went out to the track and ran a 14.5 @ 98 mph
under muggy Florida conditions.

But the truck has more potential w/o even needing to change the
supercharger's drive pulley. The camshaft along with the big duals killed my
low end, so a converter is essential in my application, this should drop the
ETs where they should be traction permitting. The fuel leak caused a slightly
lean condition which hurt the top end power, but this has now been fixed by
replacing the fatigue'd stock O-ring. By racing late model Vettes and
F-bodies, I would guesstimate my trap speed to be in the ~99-101 range now
that it's tuned.

I dropped a full second off my ETs and gained ~10 mph from the blower install
alone, which impressed me considering my trucks weight. I would definately
say the blower was worth every penny spent. The Vortech kits (IMO) are the
best all around choice for the Magnum engines, plus they're very solid and
reliable, and virtually maintenance free (you're supposed to check the
blower's oil inlet passage every 3,000 miles or so as a safety measure)
making them a nice addition if you're looking for a durable package for your
$20,000+ truck.

Another list member run's a Vortech on his new R/T, and there's a brief
rundown of the truck @ http://members.aol.com/rdperform/cars.html .

ttyl
Patrick
surf.to/rdperformance