Re: Air Filter-from another 97 v6 owner

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Tue Apr 13 1999 - 08:28:16 EDT

Not to bother the V8 DML'ers here...but stay away from the 10" round filter
setup for the V6 Daks...we've been through this already (on the DML list)
and the general consensus was Tube w/K&N Cone filter setup. I've personally
alro tried the 10" filter and gave it to a friend with a V8...I'll stick
with my 3" Tube.

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
bernd@texas.net
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/Dakota.htm
1997 Dakota SLT-CC (3.9L)

> Johnny 7,
> I own a 97 3.9 auto slt+ and the current modifications i've done so
> far:
> (in cronological order)
> -electrical fans
> -10" air cleaner assembly with K&N filter
> -cat back 2-chamber flowmaster
> -electrical fans
> -and recently (yesterday. sunday) i ported out my throttle body
>
> if you are starting. i'd do the 10" air cleaner set up.
> just goto ur auto parts store and buy a 10" air cleaner. it'll come with
> paper element but that isn't enough. get a K&N 10x2.5 air filter and
replace
> that over that crummy paper one. this gave me noticable gains, but the
most
> gains i've received are from the TB mod. i know i did it last, but
imagine
> better gas mileage, quick throttle response. and power you can actually
FEEL.
> the electrical fans helped with quick throttle, but the TB did a whole lot
> more..
> the cat back system i find a waste of money. if you do fix up the
exhaust.
> don't get a 2-chamber flowmaster. it's way too loud. i plan on gettin a
> dynomax racemagnum welded back on over that flowmaster...
> in your situation.
> get the air assembly and TB ported out.
> (i swear to god anyone can do the TB. if you wanna look. on top of the
TB.