Re: Synthetic Oil change interval

From: John Mitchell (jmitchell@spectrumtelecorp.com)
Date: Tue Apr 13 1999 - 13:59:42 EDT

Consumer Reports did an exhaustive amount of research on this very question
a while ago. They replaced the engines in 60 NYC cabs. Before install, they
measured and recorded all critical engine dimensions (crank and cam
journals, cylinder walls, etc...) Half of the cars were run using
conventional (dino) oil and the other half using synth. They also changed 30
cars oil at 3K and the other 30 at 6K. At the 60,000 mile mark, all 60 car's
engines were torn down and measured again. The conclusion, there was NO
appreciable difference between the cars that were changed at 3K and those
changed at 6K. There was a slight difference in some measurements between
the conventional and synth oils. For me, I'm changing the 10W-30 Mobil and
Mobil-1 filter at 6k. Don't forget, the 3K mile change interval was
established by the oil companies. Kinda like dairy farmers telling us we all
need to drink 3 glasses a day. Both self serving.

Mitch