Re: Important questions on any perf part that increases airflow

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 15 1999 - 15:37:03 EDT

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 Dak99RT@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/14/99 5:17:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:
>
> > I have recently purchased an Intellitronix digital air/fuel guage. I
> > haven't had a chance to install it yet, but it should be interesting to see
> > what results it will give me, and to see how well it corresponds with the
> > signal that the PCM is getting. (I just haven't had the time to install it
> > yet.) Hopefully it will be fairly accurate, so I can monitor the A/F ratio
> > under hard accelleration. (The connection to the data link connector is
> > severed by the PCM under hard acceleration, so I can't use my laptop to
> > monitor anything under those conditions.)
>

> Thank you, Thank you Thank you, Jon,
> I was starting to think I was on my own with this one. I to was thinking
> about getting an air/fuel meter. I have a couple of questions on your
> Intellitronix digital air/fuel gauge. Where did you get it? what was the

   I bought it from Summit; it was about $30. There are actually 3 different
types of A/F guages. One shows you a direct readout of the voltage from the
sensor, another has a row of LEDs that go from red to green, and the third
is an "analog" style, where the needle pointing straight up is 14.7:1, left is
lean, right is rich. I chose the needle guage. It seems like that'd be the
easiest to read and keep tabs on. The "needle" type wasn't shown in the
Summit catalog when I ordered it; I special ordered it through Summit using
an Intellitronix part number. I've been told that this guage is in the latest
catalog though, in the "new products" section. I was going to build an A/F
meter by reading the voltage from the O2 sensor, but I figured when I could
have a turnkey solution for $30, it just wasn't worth the hassle. :-)

> cost? Can it record a run down the drag strip to be viewed later? If so how
> long does it record? Something like this IMHO would be absolutely necessary
> to go fast safely.

  Nope, no record ability here, its just a straight guage that displays
the current reading. I'm hoping to be able to find a pillar mounted guage
pod (maybe one from a Chevy or Ford or something will fit in my Dak?) to
keep the guage at eye level. I suppose it would be possible to use a
microprocessor, an A/D converter, and a D/A converter to record a run
(would sample the voltages and store it to memory), then have it play back
by spitting those voltages back at the guage... It would just be mounted
between the sensor and the guage... (Great, just what I need; another
project!) ;-)

> Thanks again, (especially for the correct O2 voltages I asked about a while
> back but never got a definite answer too.)

  Sure thing! Glad to help.

                                              -Jon-