RE: Timing Chain woes..

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sat Apr 17 1999 - 00:07:29 EDT

> When I bought my 94 Dak Sport v6 about a month and a half ago, it had an
> engine rattle, which the dealer said he would fix under warranty. Of
> course it was determined to be the timing chain. He put on a new TRW
> double-roller chain. This stopped the rattle for about 2 weeks. When it
> started rattling again, I did some research and found out about the timing
> chain tensioner kit that Dodge had come out with to retro-fit and cure
> this problem. But the dealer claims that, since it is not original
> equipment on the truck, the tensioner is not covered by the warranty. But
> he'll "do me a favor" and give me half price on the labor if I buy the
> parts. Now I'm pissed. And there's one more twist: the tensioner will
> not work with the double-roller chain. It will have to be replaced AGAIN,
> with a link-type chain like the original was. So i would pay $100 for
> labor plus buy the tensioner and chain. I know this is a pittance, but
> money is tight right now, and amyway I thought we had a deal that the
> engine rattle would be fixed. I looked into doing it myself, I could
> probably get it done in one day, but I don't know if I want to risk
> screwing something up. Any thoughts??? I am thinking I should just shell
> out the money, get it done, then never step foot on that slick bastard's
> lot again, and tell my friends/family/the customers at the auto parts
> store where I work/other dealers we deliver to who directly compete with
> him/ etc. You get the idea. I suppose I should thank him for confirming
> the stereotype about used car salesmen. At least now I won't have to
> worry about giving one the benefit of the doubt ever again.
> Christopher Scott

What you could have done was have the dealer replace the timing chain with a
stock one. But that is history. YOu mentioned that the dealer installed a
double-roller chain, is this at your request?? See I had mine done under
warranty (had the v6 death-rattle too). They replaced the chain
,spockets,and tensioner. All under warranty, no questions, paid my $100
deductable and it was a done deal. Having that done it this way, it bought
me some time until I do some other mods. Had my truck back for 2 weeks
exactly. No rattle...

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd