Re: Re: repainting my Dak

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Sun Apr 18 1999 - 11:18:36 EDT

Yeah, I called their 1-800 number and they told me to take it to the local
dealer. Well, I called the dealer and they told me to take it to this body
shop on the other side of town for an estimate. So I do that, & the body
shop faxes estimate back to the dealer and the dealer says "Our area rep.
will be here in a month to look at it - we'll call you". So a month or 2
goes by & I call him back & he says "Our area rep. will be here in a month
to look at it - we'll call you". This goes on a coupla times & the guy
realizes I'm not giving up, so he says "Yeah, she looked at it, but since
your truck is older ('92) and has high miles (138k), there's nothing we can
do about it". Lotsa bullshit. At this point, I'm going to WRITE Chrysler a
nice, long letter detailing the above and the fact that they do have a
well-known paint problem on their late-80's / early-90's vehicles, even
though they continue to deny it.

Funny thing is, the body shop that did the estimate on my truck wants $1100
to repaint just the hood and top of cab. I also took the truck to a body
shop just down the block from where I work (I know the guy, he does good
work) and he quoted me $400 for the same job. He also quoted me $1200 for a
complete paint job. I figure if I do get anything out of Chrysler, they'll
make me pay $3-400 to their "contract bodyshop" while they foot the bill for
the rest. Either way, I'd be out the same amount of money.

I think I'll threaten to put some signs on my truck "Paint by Chrysler".

'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate