Re: IAT sensor

From: Tom & Fern Moffat (tomm@datarecall.net)
Date: Sun Apr 18 1999 - 18:06:56 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Smith <jdsmith4@yahoo.com>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Saturday, April 17, 1999 7:38 PM
Subject: DML: IAT sensor

>Got back from the dyno today, had an interesting
>proposal from the dynoman. Has anyone relocated their
>IAT sensor from the intake manifold to get a false
>(colder) air reading? I was witness to a 9 horse gain
>(rear wheels) from a Z-28 by placing in a resistor
>across the lead wires going to the IAT.
>
>I was thinking of moving the IAT to an area up near
>the radiator or perhaps the firewall...
>
>Any input???
>===
>Jon Smith -- NC

Yea John,
    I to have heard that this can help. In fact I was going to try it out
before I reported on it to the group. I'm told by a guy who has done it
that it does work, but he had moved it up close to the t-body. The resistor
is an execellent idea, my buddy and I were discussing this very same thing,
it sure would be a slick idea if you could get the voltage right.
     The guy told me of another cool mod-ever wonder why your truck runs so
good in the morning?(when cold). I always assumed it was because our trucks
just liked the colder air. According to this gentleman, it's because of the
water temp sensor-being cold on startup! He said to wire up a switch(like a
double pull one- I think) can put an additional sensor in the washer fluid
bottle and switch to that one when racing. Kinda like a N2O switch-he swears
it really helps, even more than the IAT mod.
  I'll let another cat out of the bag. He also told me to get a MAP sensor
from one of those TA turbo cars-the rare one back in the 80s. Apparently
this sensor has a screw in it that's adjustable to richen or lean-out the
fuel curve. He says its totally compatible w/our system & also helps.
    This guy which you are all probably wondering about lives on the East
Coast & has several decades of racing behind him. Dave @ Hughes Engines
knows him quite well. He has built up several Dakotas in the past (tubbed
out etc) & really know his stuff more than anyone else I have ever talked
to. He is retired know, but helps out a lot of the 5.0 guys w/their motor
problems.
    I would have tried some of these things out myself, first to see if they
worked since I didn't want to waste anyone's time, but since it was talked
about already I thought, what the heck....

Tom (11sdak)