Dak Accident... (kinda long-sorry)

From: Norah Bleazard (nbleazard@home.com)
Date: Sun Apr 18 1999 - 18:59:00 EDT

Blake,

Man, do I feel for you. You've received a lot of good advice from the other
DMLers. I don't know if what has happened to me will help you or not, but
it can't hurt. Bernd is absolutely correct that whiplash is hard to imagine
at that speed. You hit her only once from behind, right? Any major damage
to the Expedition? Did she know she was going to be hit or was she caught
off guard?

When I had my accident, I was only doing 10 km/h making a left turn, but the
other guy claimed to be doing 65 km/h in a 60 zone and everyone knew he was
lying, as he admitted to running the light and speeding. Now he hit me (hit
#1) in the passenger side headlight area which spun us both in the opposite
direction where our back ends collided (hit #2)and pushed me up onto the
sidewalk where I hit a lamp pole (hit #3). The truck was totaled as you can
see on the pics below, but I walked away with a grade #2 whiplash, a massive
headache, and back problems which will probably plague me for life. But
regardless, I knew I was going to be hit and tensed up.

>From what I gather, there can't be extensive damage as she drove away -
correct? There is no way that she could have a grade #2 or higher whiplash.
Babies are pretty resilient and I'm sure the baby didn't know what was going
to happen. She truly sounds like she's going for the big scam.

My advice to you is to tell everything to your insurance agent, including
your suspicions but do not EVER say it was your fault or even look like you
think it was. Talk with complete confidence and be calm. I don't know how
the insurance game works in the US, but in Canada all injuries seem to go
through an third party medical evaluation paid for by the insurance company
(so you know they're on the insurance company's side). We call it a DAC
(no... not DAK) and I have no idea what it stands for. It's a grueling 7
hour exam and you are evaluated by a medical doctor, physiotherapist,
chiropractor, psychologist, and a work capacity evaluator. I went through
two of them and they are pretty stressful. If she's faking it, she will
definitely be caught. I'm sure the US system is following similar
guidelines.

I'm pretty pissed about hearing of your situation and I can only imagine
what you're feeling. If you want to talk about it at any time or need more
info, I'll see what I can gather for you. Just give me a shout.

Good luck, chin up, learn from it, and we're all here for you,

Norah
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg Cab V6/3.9L/5spd

http://csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu/WWWProfile/dakota/Ez9Y@FCYvhCcQ/kiraly05.jpg

http://csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu/WWWProfile/dakota/Ez9Y@FCYvhCcQ/kiraly06.jpg

http://csclub0.cs.fredonia.edu/WWWProfile/dakota/Ez9Y@FCYvhCcQ/kiraly07.jpg