Re: Re: Pulling in o/d

From: Sam's Mail (srp@home.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 1999 - 22:48:45 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: mrdancer <mrdancer@camalott.com>
To: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Sent: Monday, April 19, 1999 6:11 PM
Subject: DML: Re: Pulling in o/d

> I think that as long as your tranny isn't 'hunting' or going in and out of
> OD, you'll be OK. I don't really condone towing at high speeds, but your
> engine will be making more power there & it will be easier on the tranny.
> If you have an doubts, turn the OD off, it will only hurt your mileage &
> maybe a little wear&tear on the engine from the higher rpms.

I'd like to see the NV3500 with on OD off button.. That'd be cool.

> > Quick question everyone:
> >
> > I've got a 98' std cab 318 3:55 5pd Dak. Im going turkey hunting next
> > month and I plan to pull a 2,000# pop-up camper up to the northren

You shouldn't have any problems. If you are running on predominantly flat
land, 5th is 'ok' with a light load like that. I've actually pulled about
4500#
in my '95 SLT with 3.92 gearing (in 5th gear) on predominantly flat land,
but also
needed to run about 65 mph or higher to make it useful. With your 3.55
gearing
a high profile trailer and /or 3000#+ trailer would be working in 5th gear
on flat
land under 70 mph... If speed isn't an issue, you might try running 4th
gear up to
3000 rpm for extended periods is okay. It's the equivalent to running 80-85
MPH
in 5th... and I've done that for about 9 hours worth.

Sam '99 RT x 2