a tale of oil filter woe

From: Pedro J. Diaz (pjdmd@mho.net)
Date: Tue Apr 20 1999 - 21:12:21 EDT

 I checked out the oil filter site someone recommended :
http://members.xoom.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html
and decided to change from Fram to Mobil 1.
Was due for an oil and filter change, and took off the old Fram Tough
Guard and filled my baby up with Royal Purple ( only the best for my
Dak).

then 1/2 mile into a drive, I drop all of my oil pressure, and the check
engine light comes on. After parking, I notice this thick trail of
precious oil all over the road. That was soooo painful to see. My
brand new Mobil 1 filter was spewing juice like an angry Monica
Lewinsky. After a whole lot of walking and lugging 5 fresh quarts, I
find the reason for the leak. The dang rubber gasket from my Fram had
come off and I had put on the new filter over it. My fault totally.
Then again, it's hard to see clearly under that wheel well in the bright
midday sun. But I'm an idiot nevertheless.

Lesson for the rest of you: make sure the oil filter gasket is not left
behind on your engine.

Pedro.