Re: a tale of oil filter woe

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Wed Apr 21 1999 - 10:08:41 EDT

Pedro,

I always take a look at the filter after I take it off the engine to make
sure the gasket is still attached and not stuck to the engine. It's alot
easier than trying to see it on the block.
FWIW
Buene suerte

Richard in San Antonio

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:12:21 -0600 "Pedro J. Diaz" <pjdmd@mho.net>
writes:
> I checked out the oil filter site someone recommended :
>http://members.xoom.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html
>and decided to change from Fram to Mobil 1.
>Was due for an oil and filter change, and took off the old Fram Tough
>Guard and filled my baby up with Royal Purple ( only the best for my
>Dak).
>
>then 1/2 mile into a drive, I drop all of my oil pressure, and the
>check
>engine light comes on. After parking, I notice this thick trail of
>precious oil all over the road. That was soooo painful to see. My
>brand new Mobil 1 filter was spewing juice like an angry Monica
>Lewinsky. After a whole lot of walking and lugging 5 fresh quarts, I
>find the reason for the leak. The dang rubber gasket from my Fram had
>come off and I had put on the new filter over it. My fault totally.
>Then again, it's hard to see clearly under that wheel well in the
>bright
>midday sun. But I'm an idiot nevertheless.
>
>Lesson for the rest of you: make sure the oil filter gasket is not
>left
>behind on your engine.
>
>Pedro.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]