Re: Installed TransGo shift kit, now hitting rev limiter 1-2

From: JeffofSLU@aol.com
Date: Sun May 02 1999 - 18:17:42 EDT

yellowrt@mediaone.net writes:

<< I installed my Transgo shift kit today, and now if I stand on it, it
bounces of the rev limiter in first gear. I think some others have had this
problem. What did you do to cure this problem?

I don't know about the newer trucks, but my 95's first to second and second
to third shifts aren't controlled electronically, but rather by a cable
attached to the throttle body. I had the same problem when I had my Trans-Go
installed a few months ago. The cable attaches to the throttle body on the
passenger's side and can be adjusted by pressing down a button on the cable
bracket and pushing the cable to the rear (I think) of the vehicle. The
cable only needs to be adjusted slightly, maybe an eighth of an inch or so.
I would try this a little at a time until the truck stops bouncing off the
rev limiter. Unfortunatley, after adjusting the cable, my two to three shift
occurs around 4200 rpm's, while the one to two occurs right at the red line.
The result is that whenever I race, I need to shift the truck manually to get
the best out of it. With the kit though there is almost no delay from the
time I move the lever to the time the transmission shifts. All in all I'm
happy with it. By the way, the transmission nut who installed it for me said
that it's best for the transmission to manually shift it while racing, since
when you drop it down into first an extra set of clutches engage thereby
increasing line pressure. He also recomended that I leave it in first when I
do my burnout.

Jeff