1996 O2 sensor??? -Reply

From: mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes) (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Sun May 02 1999 - 21:57:27 EDT

Okay all you tech-types =)
speaking of O2 sensors, I remember someone sayin' that the O2 sensor
that is in our trucks is generally pretty cheap (quality) and isn't all that
acurate. If someone were to spend the extra money and get a high
quality one that would (conceivably) be more acurate, would you see
and increase in performance? Anyone wanna' take a stab at this one?

-mike d.

>>> Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu> 04/27/99 06:20pm >>>

  The upstream O2 sensor in my '96 318 has been giving me trouble
codes
(heater circuit malfunction, voltage too high, etc.) My truck is
running in open loop all the time, and it must be pretty rich because I
smell fuel. My gas mileage is about 13-14mpg too. :-P

  Anyway, I figured it must be about time to change the O2 sensor,
but when the Autozone guy looked up the part number, and brought
it to the counter (Bosch 15270 I think?), the connector was square,
not round like mine. According to them, the downstream O2 sensor
(Bosch 13280 I think?) is used for both upstream and downstream
sensors in the '97, but they couldn't get it.

  So, I tried Parts America. Same deal; same part numbers.

  I head to NAPA. Similar story there, except that they show
different part numbers for the upstream and downstream sensors
on a '96. They also had some alternative sensors. One of these
alternative sensors looked like the right connector, but they
couldn't get it through NAPA so they will have to go to some
sort of import dealer, and the price will be $66 and some
change. (As opposed to $51-55 for the other sensors.)

  The sensor in question is a Bosch 13270.

  Anyway, just thought I'd post my experience here to see if
anyone else has tried to buy an O2 sensor for their '96 Dak,
and see if they had a similar experience and some part numbers?

  I guess I could either bite the bullet and spend the $66,
or get the $55 version and do a little wire splicing... Seems to
me that there shouldn't be any physical difference with the
sensors themselves, just the connectors? The disadvantage
there though is if something is wrong with the sensor, I can
hardly return it after I butcher it...

   What I don't understand is why the O2 sensor manufacturers don't
just make a "standard" connector, and then sell adapters for maybe
$5 or so which would convert this standard connector to the different
manufacturer's wire harnesses. That way, they could have one sensor
and all a person needs to do is get the right adapter. Think of the
cost savings of having your sensors seperate of the connectors! No
need to pay someone to put a bunch of different connectors on the
same sensor...

                                              -Jon-

  | Jon Steiger * AOPA, DoD, EAA, MP Race Team, NMA, SPA, USUA *
RP-SEL |