accurate speedometer idea

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Sun May 02 1999 - 22:58:43 EDT

I was looking at this URL and I got an idea......

http://www.avocet.com/cyclofeatures/45ttfeatures.html

I'm wondering if this speedometer can be converted for use on our Daks. A
guy on a motorcycle newsgroup mentioned he used one on his motorcycle.
Stock motorcycle speedos tend to be inaccurate (has something to do with
virtual diameter of tire changing when bike is leaning, such as turning a
corner). Anyway, this guy claims amazing accuracy from this speedo in
speeds excess of 100mph, as well as odometer readings down to 0.01 miles.

The speedo works by placing 20 magnets on the wheel (hub?) and a sensor
constantly reads the rotating magnets. You calibrate it by entering the
circumference of the tire.

Benefits: You can run any size tire you want or change rear-end gears, etc.
and always have an extremely accurate speedo/odometer, regardless of factory
speedo. There is also a trip computer built into the unit.

Just some more stuff to think about.........

'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate