Perma cool fan re-install

From: William Blount Arthur (m990198@nadn.navy.mil)
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 01:00:58 EDT

Well, this is the second time I have installed a perma cool fan. This
time I decided I didnt want to use those stupid things that go through the
radiator. I never liked that. So, I went to Ace and got a 4 ft peice of
1/2 inch wide 1/8th inch thick aluminum flat bar for 3 bucks. I bent it
so that it was about 1/4 inch off of the radiator with a vise and
carefully drilled holes in the lip on the top and bottom of the radiator.
This way, the fan mounts to these peices of bar instead of to the
radiator. Anyways, I also took the cheesy teeth washer that held the
fan blade onto the motor off and threaded the motor shaft and put the fan
blade back on with a lock washer and nut. The last time my fan failed, I
think it is because this washer fell off and the fan blade came off and
the motor spun out of control and burnt out some windings. Anyways, I
think this is good insurance. Anyways, if you are thinking of doing this,
dont get the stupid kit from summit, this is easyer. BTW, I noticed today
that I can fit another fan in there if I want. I am going to put this fan
over to the hot side and get another fan (a cheaper 14 incher) and use the
5 dollar relay to turn it on whenever this fan is on. The hot side is the
drivers side of the radiator. I am going to put the 16 incher over there
and the little guy on the other side.

Bill
'97 SS/T