Re: Limited Slip Question

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Sun May 02 1999 - 08:08:51 EDT

Trevor Stott wrote:

> How does limited slip work? Not looking for an incredibly in depth answer but
> I notice in tight turns (from stop) on sandy pavement the rear end kind of
> stutters like a posie (SP?) rear end. Also when I stomp on it should both
> tires burn? :}
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Trevor.
Sounds like a posi trac or in CC terms a Sure Grip. My R/T has one (all
do) and my Torino before it, both made noise in a tight turn due to the
outside wheel turning faster to keep up with the radius of the turn,
while the inside wheel turns a little slower. Kinda binds the tire
against the pavement causing the grunting noise.
Similar to the long chorus line of ice skaters doing a big circle, the
ones closest to the center are barely moving while the ones at the ends
are skatin like hell to keep up.
Yes, it oughta leave 2 black stripes. Alan S.