Re: Torque Converter

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 17:30:25 EDT

In a message dated 5/2/99 11:06:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bnich@bellatlantic.net writes:

<< I'd like to know alittle more about that HP Torque Converter, if someone
 has the time to explain. Thanks Bob Nichols >>

Bob

I just purchased one from Protorque and have it installed but due to other
problems have not been able to test it out. From my understanding they change
the angle of the fins and modify the stator to allow for a higher torque
conversion. I'm not sure if the higher stall is a result of that change or if
they do something else to raise the stall speed which allows full engagement
at a higher RPM, closer to the power band. Protorque predicts .3 to .5
improvement if you have the traction. There is another company Preciision
Industries who just came out with a 9" TC for Daks called the viper. They
claim a .5 + improvement with traction but theirs is around $900. The
protorque was around $400 and comes with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and
1 year defect warrantee. These guys were very helpful as was their web site
and were quick to reply to all concerns and above all it fit :-) I had
ordered one from TCI which I had problems getting info from and when it came
it did not fit. I e-mailed them about the problem and that I had my trcuk was
apart and their TC did not fit but never heard back from them. It took the
dealer about 5 days to be able to contact the proper person at TCI and they
said to send it back and they would check it out (Nice of them to be so
generous while the truck sits torn apart) This was about a month ago and
today they called to see about sending it back. Solong TCI, I'll deal with
companies who have their act together and atleast care a little bit about
their customers or potential ones. Once I get the BO parts to put the rest of
it together I'll let the list know how it works.

Bill