Re: OpenCase vs.TracLoc Quest.

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 12:05:06 EDT

There are also different "opinions" on the terminology used by shops (and
manufacturers) that deal with them on a daily basis. I've heard both used
for the same thing.

Case Cover = "Pumpkin Cover" = Differential Cover
Carrier = Assembly that holds the Ring and Pinion Gears and Clutch Packs
(if applicable)
Case = The Housing that holds all the above as well as the axle tubes

So...in light of the confusion, i've sent an email to Richmond Gear for
their interpretation of the terminology.

(Let's get this correct once and for all)

>Good Morning Folks,
>
>There seems to be a misunderstanding in terminology when referring to
>different parts of the rear axle assembly, whether it be an 8 1/4 or 9 1/4.
>The outer housing on both axles that has the axle tubes welded to them
>are called "the carrier". The internal part that the ring gear is bolted to
>is called the "case" whether it is open case or TracLoc. It least, that's
>what
>we call them at the factory where they are built.
>
>The 8 1/4 and 9 1/4 open cases are manufactured at Detroit Axle by Daimler/
>Chrysler. The TracLoc cases are purchased finished from Dana Corp.
>The current part number for the 1999 9 1/4 Dana TracLoc case is: 52068450
>
>To convert a 9 /14 Open Case Axle to a TracLoc requires the differential
to be
>disassembled and the open case removed. The ring gear has to be bolted to
>the new TracLoc case and the differential reassembled. The bearings
should be
>replaced at this time (particularly the pinion bearing). TracLoc lub has to
>be
>added to the axle. There are several preload settings that must be done on
>reassembly plus setting the ring and pinion lap or mesh. This requires
>special
>tools and experience in building axle assemblies. I would recommend this be
>done by a qualified shop.
>
>The TracLoc (Sure-Grip) cases have changed over the years several times.
>For a while, Borg Warner manufactured the Sure-Grip cases and the spline
>count changed in the middle 90's. They are not interchangeable.
>The current part number for the 9 1/4 Dana TracLoc Case is good back to 1994.
>The 1993 used a different case. This is not true for the 8 1/4. They have
>changed
>more often.
>
>David R.
>Sterling Heights