Air Bags/ Suspension Edubacation!

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Wed May 05 1999 - 23:49:56 EDT

Let me address a few concerns some people have addressed about airbags
and towing. I will lend
as much knowledge as I can, and if someone knows more than I, please
chip in.
  1st off, if you are caught by a trooper pulling a heavier load with
your STOCK R/T model, then maybe you'd deserve a ticket. But let's say
that you installed 4.10 rear gears. This would increase the towing
capabilities of the truck. So you have now modified the truck to be
able to pull more weight. On another angle, the weight of the item
being towed affects the "tongue weight", which is the downward force the
towed item puts on the hitch ball. The greater this weight, the lower
the vehicle sags when hooked up. This is the reason why tow packages
normally include higher spring rates, stiffer shocks, and higher
numerical rear-end ratios. Air bags keep the vehicle from sagging,
which in turn keeps the suspension from bottoming out (a very serious
case when towing), it allows a higher tongue weight from a heavier item
being towed. The factory already installed 3.92 gears, a great gear
for towing.
  Chrysler concern is the vehicle bottoming out, not the ability of the
truck to be able to pull the weight of the item (shucks, how much torque
does this thing put out?)
  So, if you put on airbags and got ticketed, I dare you to bring
Firestone to court with you to explain how you have properly modified
your vehicle from it's stock equipment to be able to safely
tow a trailer.
  One last way to simplify: Look at the rear bumper on your truck and
see if it is stamped with a rating from the factory where the ball
attaches if you towed right from your bumper instead of a hitch. Now go
check out the trailering capabilities of a Class 3 or Class IV hitch,
you have increased the capability, and no trooper would argue with that.

  Sport-Rite rear airbags are available for Dakotas. No front kits yet
unless you just want a coil spring insert bag.
  Bruce Bridges, you are #1 on the group buy. I'll contact you soon for
more information.
  Please, ask any questions, or check out the kits available at
http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/rvlt.htm

Patrick
Firestone
shetland@erols.com