reply to Breeze questions

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Wed May 05 1999 - 23:19:55 EDT

I think we have a Chrysler mechanic out there somewhere.........I took
my
wife's (gulp) Plymouth Breeze into the shop (under warranty) for brake
problems, an oil leak (head gasket), and well it's 132 screaming HP just

don't perform for my wife anymore. (hmmm, wonder why?) The dealer tells
me
that the TBI is all carboned up....ok...I can just pull it off and clean
it.
Right? Nope....your computer needs to be reprogrammed after it is
removed!!..... I have never heard of this.....he said it wouldn't even
start
after that.

-You can clean the TBI and the IAC valve, and reset the computer by
removing the battery cable for at least 60 seconds. Do it yourself,
take your time, and replace the gasket underneath of it.

So...is he full of it?Am I safe to take it off myself and clean it?
Another thing he mentioned is doing a complete flush of the
engine......"motor vac"..they pump some 250 degree liquid through it to
clean out the sludge......does it work?

-The motor vac stuff works pretty good, many shops have some form of
full Fuel Injection Servicing. For example, Firestone does the throttle
body and full system for $89.99. Not too shabby, and boy what a
difference it makes. You cannot buy the chemicals over the counter
yourself at a parts store, that's how nasty this stuff is. I buy a 3
can kit from Wynn's. I can is throttle body, intake tract cleaner, the
second can goes in the gas tank and cleans out the innards of the fuel
delivery system, including the injectors, and the 3rd can is introduced
throught the pcv system and is a "top engine" cleaner that cleans the
valves and piston tops. The third can makes most engines smoke for a
good 1/2 hour, then puff more out over the next 2-3 days as the deposits
loosen up and burn up.

The other thing is the front pads are worn into wedges.....I was told by
brake shop that the calipers are bad......the Chrysler dealer said that
the
calipers are fine and my Raybestos pads are junk...I have to use Mopar
pads....this sound right to anyone.....I feel I am not totally car
stupid
but some of these things just don't add up. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

-Dealers have been programmed to tell people that they must use factory
parts. Unfortunately for them,almost every aftermarket that meets or
exceeds factory specs works on the vehicles intended. If you buy a
quality part in a name that you at least recognize (Raybestos) then I
wouldnt be too
concerned. Pads dont wear at a funny angle because they are
aftermarket, they do that because
the caliper or the caliper slides are not functioning correctly. Were
both pads on the same side
worn at the same angle, or only one? Or were they at opposite angles?
Or was it only one pad?
Were both sides of the brakes (left wheel and right wheel) worn the same
way?
  To get a better idea-If only the outer pad is worn out, but the inner
one isnt, it's a sign that the
caliper is not sliding properly on its slide or pins, and needs
cleaned/lubricated at the slide contact points. If only the inner one
is worn, the piston is not retracting properly keeping a light drag on
the
inner pad, and the caliper is likely needing repair. If both pads are
worn out, then it's likely that
the caliper is bad or the hose is collapsed on that side, or that the
prop valve is malfunctioning. If
they are worn at a funny angle, just about every example I've ever seen
is because the caliper slides
needed cleaned/lubed, etc.
Patrick