Ball Joints

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Fri May 07 1999 - 12:22:39 EDT

I've been waiting for 3 weeks for ball joints, tie rod and idler arm. I had
taken the truck to them two previous times for "rattleing" in the front
suspension when driving over uneven surfaces at low speeds. This time I told
them that I had jacked up the truck and checked out the front end myself as
they would not do it. They kept telling me that they could not duplicate the
problem. For what ever reason they will not look for a problem if a very
quick test ride does not turn up what they think I am reporting. I told them
I only jacked up the right hand side because I was in a hurry. They say they
will look at it. Guess what? They say there is a problem. Fancy that! Today,
three weeks later, I call to find out what the status of my parts order it.
They just got the last part 3 days ago, but forgot to call me. I ask if they
are doing the left side too or just the right. He asks why I would think
they should do the left side just because the right hand side is bad. I ask
if they looked at the left side. He says no. Then I lose it with the jerk. I
reminded him that I had taken the truck in to them two previous times for
this problem and they couldn't be bothered to look any further than a test
drive even though on one occasion I told them it felt like a ball joint
problem. I also pointed out that the only reason they found the parts to be
bad was that I had to jack the truck up myself and do their job for them.
Then I ask him why after all this, they wouldn't bother to look at the left
side while they were checking out the right side? Then he says he doesn't
know why the tech didn't look at the left side. At this point I tell him
about this, mailing list and how ball joints have become a major topic of
discussion. I even pointed out that one person's truck failed a state
inspection with 19K miles because the ball joints were trashed. Of course he
says my truck is the first Dakota he has ever seen with this problem.
Bullshit! So now, I have to take the truck to them to look at the left side
and probably wait another 3 weeks for the parts. I'm real close to taking
the truck to another dealership for warantee work. The service puke is
supposed to call me back after lunch to let me know whether or not they are
going to make me drag the truck in to look at the left side or take my word
for it that the parts are worn. BTW, I have since looked at the left side
and it is at least as bad as the right.
John
98 Dakota 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto, Leach headers, DDBC, worn front end at
22K miles.