re:R/T owners-loss of tow capacity-Group buy Airbags

From: david zavetsky (zavetsky@usaor.net)
Date: Sat May 08 1999 - 08:47:23 EDT

I am a little confused as to what the big stink is....

When you look at the R/T, its obvious that it is NOT set up for heavy duty
work but for speed/hp......

I mean, yeah, it's still a truck and all, but it is a specialized truck....

We, as a group. should know better.....Performance has its price.....

If you increase the performance of one aspect of a vehicle, chances are
that you decrease the performance of another aspect..........

It DOES suck that Chrysler didnt tell people about this situation sooner so
that buyers could make an informed decision....

At 12:30 PM 5/5/99 EDT, you wrote:
>(snip)
>- - -OK guys (and girls) It's time for a group buy on Firestone
>Airbags!! The $300 Gene
>states is more than enough to cover the cost of a basic airbag setup.
>If we can get
>a significant amount of people to buy, I can get the Sport-Rite kit
>(produced especially for
>LOWERED vehicles-read "R/T") to you for $200 plus shipping, instead of
>the $225 that
>I've sold the kit to many people on the DML for. If you are interested,
>e-mail me at
>shetland@erols.com
>(unsnip)
>
>Am I missing something here? If dodge lowered the towing capacity of the R/T
>to 2000 pounds... (which they did, I called) That is all you will able to
tow
>by law... 2000 pounds, regardless of how many helper springs or air bags you
>install. What will happen, is they will release the new towing capacities to
>the government and your state registration will only give you window
stickers
>indicating that the R/T can only tow 2000 pounds. If you get pulled over
>towing something heavier than that... you will get a ticket and fined. The
>only way around this is for Dodge to release a "Heavy Duty spring/shock
>package that will ruin the R/Ts handling. Dodge just crippled the R/T
without
>batting an eyelash and we R/T owners must now "pay" the consequences.
>
>Thinking about selling my R/T before the word gets out and my R/Ts resale
>value plummets.
>Charles

1992 Dodge Dakota V8 3.90's
1987 Honda Shadow VT1100C