Underdrive Pulleys and New Water Pumps

From: TXSTIM@aol.com
Date: Sun May 09 1999 - 21:26:25 EDT

For those of you running underdrive pulleys, you might be in for a surprise
if you need to replace your water pump. The Chrysler replacement parts now
come with a pulley pressed directly on the shaft. It's real convenient if
you are running a stock pulley, but if you've spent the money for a nice set
of underdrives.....I shopped around a couple of dealers, and everyone's
inventory was the same. I tried Pep Boys, Checker, and Auto Zone but they
didn't stock a pump for the Dak, and I'da had to wait till Monday for them to
check the warehouse. So I decided to pull the mount from the old pump and
try swaping it with the new. The old mount came off fairly easy with my gear
puller. The new pulley was too wide to get my puller on it. So I drilled
and tapped it for 3/8" bolts and pulled it with my harmonic balancer puller.
It was tight, and took a bit of effort to get it off, but it finally came
loose. Old mount simply pressed onto new pump, and my problem was solved.