RE: Re[2]: 97 Dak 4x4 Failed VA State Insp. Attn. Tom

From: brian.duffey@intelsat.int
Date: Sun May 09 1999 - 23:15:01 EDT

Hey all,

I've been off the list for a little over a month, guess I've missed some
goings on.
Who failed the VA inspection? Was it related to the TB modification?

I ask, because I had my Dak inspected (VA) in March (3/18) and was a little
worried since
over the past year, I've done a fair number of Mods. I've been going to this
same station for gas/inspections since I've had my Dak ('95), nice good ole
boys, but can be a hard ass on the inspections. Anyway, he backed the truck
onto the rollers (new emission dyno) and popped the hood & then just stood
there looking (only about a minute w/out saying anything, but it seemed ALOT
longer). Then a big grin just comes across his face. We spent the next 20
mins talking about the K&N, MSD 6 & Blaster & Wires, TBI (Frank/Bruce - he
liked your work!) etc. Asked me why I had the hose from the manifold,
running back to the K&N - told him I knew it needed to be there to pass
inspection. He said, nahh.. he doesn't worry about that little stuff, he's
more concerned with making sure the vehicles are safe & roadworthy.

My DAK actually failed the emissions on the first go. He kept it on the dyno
and let the engine rev for about 10 mins, got the CAT good and heated up &
then it passed.. barely!

Guess it all depends on who you get inspecting you (and whether they are
having a good day or not!)

Well, sorry for the long ramble, but its good to be back.

Duff
'95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
MSD 6AL - MSD Blaster Coil - Rancho 5000/9000
MSD 8.5 wires - K&N FIPK - F&B Stage I TBI