Rear Axle Terminology? Attn: Bernd

From: DRD892@aol.com
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 10:28:15 EDT

Bernd,

You and "Richmond Gear" are certainly entitled to call the parts of a
rear axle assembly anything you want. In the grand scheme of things,
it doesn't really matter.

If you were ordering parts from "Richmond Gear" then the terminology you
quote is probably fine.

But, If you were to order axle parts from MOPAR (and/or) Detroit Axle Plant
(Daimler/Chrysler) you would have a problem.

All axles built and sent to Dodge City for RAM's and Dakotas for production
are described as follows:

Differential Carrier is the outer housing with the tubes welded in and a
cover.
We buy the Carrier casting and machine it in-house.

Differential Case is the internal case that the ring gear is bolted to.
As an example, we do not buy TracLoc Carriers from Dana; we buy
TracLoc cases for both 8 1/4 and 9 1/4 axles.

I guess it all depends on where you are in the country.
I am currently sitting in my office at Daimler Chrysler Detroit Axle Plant.

David R.
Sterling Heights
Michigan
drd892@aol.com