Re: On the road

From: Edward J. Abrams, Jr. (superdak@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 21:21:48 EDT

Sam wrote:

> PROBLEM: I am parked under about 20 100' pine trees with the YELLOW
> RT, and I've got pine sap all over the truck!! ARGGHH!!! I am heading
> down to the local do it your self car wash, and see if I can get this
> crap off before it bakes driving through 100F + temps tomorrow on the
> way home. Anyone else ever deal with this?

Yes, that happened to me last year about this time. The truck was only
5-6 months old, and I had never parked under pine trees at that time of
year, so I wasn't expecting anything. I walked into my workplace at
8:00 am, and didn't come out until 5:30 pm (it was a very hot day, and
they had just gotten the AC working).

Oh, the horror...

My beautiful, purple truck had puddles of greenish sap, averaging 2" and
I would estimate covering at least 35% of upper surfaces of the truck
(this was one of those 100' pine trees), many with bits and pieces of
blossoms, bark, etc., stuck into them. As I said, it was a hot SUNNY
day, and the tree must have dropped its load in the morning, for most of
the pine resin had been baked into something resembling epoxy resin. It
was well beyond the capacity of water, soap and water, tar remover,
cleaner wax, and everything else I thought of. For months after, I has
little green spots that resisted everything I threw at it , except for
one thing: a finger nail.

That's right, friends, I spent the next few months carefully "itching"
the sap off my truck. Fortunately, no scratches or gouges resulted (and
they easily could). There are definitely better methods, but it did
work. I have not parked under a pine tree since, and will avoid parking
under /any/ trees at this time of year.

Consider yourselves warned...

Ed "Kill the Trees" Abrams