Re: Re: Better DRiving Lights?(H.O. Bulbs)

From: Bob King (k85go76@erols.com)
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 21:54:50 EDT

Higher wattage bulbs burn hotter and don't always have any tougher a
filament (usually tungsten). More often than not they will have a shorter
life. It's a tradeoff. The only escape is to go HID (High Intensity
Discharge). These systems (not just a bulb) are found on high end vehicles
but you will be seing more of it in the future as the price of this
technology drops. HID is filament free. It's actually like a regulated
continuous lightning bolt which travels between two electrodes uses a
starter and ballast much like fluorescent light systems. You'll find them
on some current model Acuras, Mercedes, Lexus, some BMWs, and the Lincoln
Mark VIII. Some companies are selling retrofit kits for certain cars (no
trucks) for around $1500 to $1800. Pricey now.
Bob K.